Why do gluten free rolls have to be so hard to make... ?

It's Christmas and I wanted to make decent rolls for this afternoon's dinner at my house for friends.  While I have several gluten free cookbooks, the rolls just never turn out right.  The bread does fine, but not the rolls.  So, I tried a new recipe that I found on the internet this morning.  I figured oat rolls might work out ok since oat flour is commonly used for pancakes as a substitute for flour.   I also luckily had lots of psyllium husk on hand because you need this for gluten free bread.  So I knew this has a potential for grave failure when the combination of liquid and psyllium powder did not clump up like claimed in the recipe.  The good thing is that I've cooked enough that I know coconut flour can also soak up water.   I'm waiting to see how that is working while I write this.   It takes a bit for it to get wetted (must be a Chapter 13 intermolecular forces problem... not sure).  Anyway, hoping I did not ruin my attempt at rolls this morning.  I refuse to buy them since the store bought gluten free rolls might as well be frozen cardboard.  It is really that bad.   So, Merry Christmas All! 

Comments