Reading, part 1...of many.

Reading, Part 1 of many. 

Started December 17, 2017
Finished December 27, 2017


Years ago I was driving with a friend by the Fayetteville Public Library and cynically remarked that it’s all the library’s fault that I am where I am today.  My mother took us to the library on a regular basis.  That she did this was actually quite interesting as her eldest sister actually died in a car/train accident in a Cincinnati Public Library bookmobile that apparently stalled on an active train track.  My aunt (mother’s sister) is also an avid library supporter who wonders why I buy books for myself rather than going to the library.  Probably the reason I buy these books is that either the library doesn’t have them or I am just a slow reader sometimes. 

I am not an expert on reading, but there is no doubt that various aspects of reading are good for one’s health and well-being.  Most people who read a lot are quite successful.  Many studies have shown that young kids do better in school with more exposure to reading.  I have found that I feel empowered or maybe accomplished when I discipline myself to read.  I sit and read emails and other items all day long, but going through books is sometimes not so easy because I can be tired in the evening after reading too many emails and manuscripts/papers.  

Many years ago I started a year-long course, Education for Ministry, at the church that I attend.  I wasn’t really sure what my ministry was except for giving undergraduate pre-med students a hard time and having them freak out about whether they would get into med school with a B in my course.  The reading in this course was pretty intense especially in the first year.  The first year covers the entire Old Testament.  The textbook was terrible.  I honestly don’t know how I squeezed in all the time needed to read the biblical scripture as well as the textbook.  It’s hard to read all of Exodus in one week and the textbook while running a big research group.  Anyway, I got through that and the New Testament (this textbook was FAR better).  I took a year off and dealt with the focus on the History of Christianity.  The book used is long and detailed, Diarmaid MacCulloch’s, Christianity, the first 3000 years.  This book is more than 1000 pages long.  It is a very interesting read, but you cannot try to remember every detail that he puts into this book.  Each chapter is 50-60 pages long and I did not want to repeat the stress of reading all on the weekend like the previous two years.  So, I decided to read in segments.  It worked well and I have been doing this for quite some time now.

I will try to write more about the books I read this year or so, but here is the partially remembered list with a rough rating system. 

Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy     (at least 4 out of 5) ««««
I have had this sitting in my library for too long.  It was a good read.  It introduces many philosophers and gives interesting stories of their lives.   Compares and contrasts different ideas. 

I wanted to really like this book because it has incredible reviews and he is a famous scientist.  It is no doubt information-filled and highly thorough.  However, I found his writing to be incredibly colloquial.  Maybe he thinks he is bonding with people by writing in such a colloquial manner.  It turned me off.  There is a lot of interesting information in this long book and I think it is a useful one for any educator or health practitioner to read as well as anyone concerned about the state of the human condition.


Jennifer A. Doudna and Samuel H. Sternberg
M

I also wanted to like this book.  I wanted to learn more about the new gene technique CRISPR.  But, this is not the book for that except maybe to go through the comprehensive references.  The author is the supposed inventor and she lets you know too many times how good she is for this audience.  I was really unhappy and surprised with the items she wrote about some of her colleagues including the person who actually got her to start researching CRISPR.  Apparently Dr. Doudna did not think it was originally worth her time to meet over coffee with her agriculture colleague who first mentioned CRISPR to her and started Doundna’s lab down the road to fame.  I think there may be better books and/or resources to use.  The book does have some interesting philosophical ideas to consider.  Others may have a different view than I do regarding this book.


David Benatar,  The Human Predicament    (at least 4 out of 5)  ««««
This philosophical text received an outstanding review in the Wall Street Journal.  The author does not waste a single word and the writing is outstanding.  I am not sure it is life changing, but it is an important book to read and I think any high school senior or college student could handle its intellectual rigor and discussion.  This philosopher is famous for his anti-naral ideas.  Basically he says human suffering would end if no humans were ever born.  That’s an interesting idea, but not a single one of us has this choice… it was made for us…intentionally or unintentionally.  He also is like one of my high school teachers who basically said we all have the right to commit suicide.  That also may be true, but most people who think about suicide in any capacity are really, if but for a fleeting moment, not quite mentally healthy.  They may think it will solve a problem and it perhaps does - terminally.  In any case, a worthy book to read and discuss with young people, I think. 


Eric Kaplan, Does Santa Exist, A philosophical investigation.  (3 out of 5)   «««¶¶

I picked this up a few years ago at Joseph Beth in Cincinnati around Christmas time.  Figured that I would read it then, but that did not happen.  Anyway, I plowed through this between Thanksgiving and Finals week.  It starts off ridiculously slow, but gains traction toward the end.  He brings in very interesting religious and philosophical arguments at the end of the book.  Bottom line - we all decide if Santa really exists in our own way. 


These are all I can remember.  I am reading too many books at one time right now.  I started a few and then moved to some other items.  I will make a post about the current books that I am reading soon. 





Comments